TERMS & CONDITIONS
these terms carefully before using the site. If you do not agree with any of these terms, then you should not use this site. If, however, you have questions about any of these terms, or any other aspects of your use of this site, you need only ask.
Please send your questions to us at email@example.com.
#1 – You Consent to Communications
When you sign up for our email list or register an account with us on our site—regardless of whether you are a paying member of Groops, you consent to receiving email communications from us. You can unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions
at the bottom of any of the emails we send you.
#2 – You are Responsible for Your Account
From time to time, certain services offered on or through the site may be available only to users who have registered with us and been granted an account with a username and password. If you register for any such account, all registration information
you submit in relation to your account must be truthful and accurate, and you must maintain the accuracy of that information. You are responsible for activity that occurs in connection with your account. Accordingly, you should keep your account login
information confidential. If you suspect unauthorized use of your account, you agree to immediately notify us. If at any time you wish to delete your account, you should follow the instructions on the site.
#3 – We Might Be Watching
It won’t surprise you to learn that, as a general matter, we do not actively monitor the use of this site. We nevertheless reserve the right to monitor the use of this site at any time, to remove any materials that may be illegal, may subject us to liability,
may violate these terms, or are otherwise inconsistent with what we believe to be the purpose or spirit of this site. In any such case, we are entitled to use our discretion in making determinations about what use is illegal, may subject us to liability,
may violate these terms, etc.
#4 – Don’t Do Bad Stuff
Okay, the lawyers make us say this stuff. But really it makes sense. When you use this site, you agree not to use the site in any of the following obviously inappropriate ways or for any of the following purposes or activities:
- engaging in any criminal or tortious activity, including child pornography, fraud, trafficking in obscene material, drug dealing, gambling, harassment, stalking, spamming, copyright infringement, patent infringement, or theft of trade secrets or any other property or information that is not properly yours;
- advertising to, or solicitation of, any user to buy or sell any products or services, unless authorized by Groops in writing;
- retrieving data or other content from our site to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection, compilation, database or directory without our written permission;
- making any unauthorized use of our site or services, including collecting usernames or email addresses of users by electronic or any other means;
- engaging in unauthorized framing of or linking to our site;
- transmitting chain letters or junk email to other users;
- using any information obtained from our site in order to contact, advertise to, solicit or sell to any user without their prior and explicit consent;
- engaging in any automated use of the systems comprising a part of our site, such as using scripts to add friends or send comments or messages, or using any data mining, robots or similar data gathering and extraction tools;
- interfering with, disrupting or creating an undue burden on our site or the networks or services connected to our site;
- impersonating or attempting to impersonate another user or person;
- using any information obtained from our site or in connection with your Groops membership to harass, abuse or harm another person;
- using our site or any contents thereon, or any other information obtained in connection with your Groops membership, as part of any effort to compete with us;
- deciphering, decompiling, disassembling or reverse engineering any of the software comprising or in any way making up a part of our site;
- attempting to bypass any measures of our site designed to prevent or restrict access to any portion of the site;
- harassing, annoying, intimidating or threatening any of our employees, contractors, agents, representatives, officers, directors or owners;
- displaying an advertisement, or accepting payment or anything of value from a third person in exchange for your performing any commercial activity on or through our site on behalf of that person, such as posting blogs or bulletins with a commercial purpose;
- deleting our copyright or other proprietary rights notice from any content on our site;
- using our site in a manner inconsistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations, or otherwise inconsistent with what we perceive to be contrary to the purpose and spirit of Groops.
We may terminate your right to use this site if you engage in any prohibited use or activity of our site.
#5 – We Are Not Doctors and This is Not Therapy
The discussions, materials and resources and experiences provided to you on or through this site, or through your Groops membership, is not clinical. We do not provide medical advice, and we do not provide medical services, including any diagnoses. We do not provide counseling or therapy, or any licensed professional services of any kind. If you require the treatment, advice or attention of a medical doctor, clinician, counselor, therapist or other professional, you should call your doctor (or other
professional) or find a doctor (or other professional) in your community and schedule an appropriate appointment.
Consequently, your mere use of this site does not create and a doctor-patient or therapist- patient relationship or contract, or any other kind of professional relationship.
#6 – It Is What It Is
Life is full of possibilities, but few guarantees. This site is the same. In other words, we believe that we use reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing and providing quality information and material, but the people behind our site are human after all. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the content on our site, or on “Third Party Websites” and information comprising “Third Party Content” (see #9 below for more information on those terms). The lawyers tell us that this means that this site is provided to you on an “as is” and “as available” basis. We do not provide any express warranties or representations, and to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law we disclaim all implied warranties and representations, including without limitation any warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, accuracy, and non-infringement.
Furthermore, while we will do our level best to keep the site operational and functioning as best we can, we cannot promise you that this site will always be available on an uninterrupted 4 basis. Moreover, we cannot promise you that the site will at all times be secure, error free, or free of viruses or other harmful code—unfortunately, there are bad folks out there! Accordingly, we cannot assume any risk or responsibility for damage to your devices that may relate to your use of our site or services. You will be solely responsibility for installing protective software and taking other precautionary steps to protect your devices and files, including backing up your important files.
Finally, we may modify, suspend or discontinue, with our without notice, any information, services or resources available on our site. Any such modification, suspension or discontinuation may be carried out without us being liable to you or to any third party.
#7 – Limits on Liability; Indemnity
Notwithstanding the above, the maximum amount of actual damages that you may receive, and our sole liability for any reason to you, in connection with your use of this site will be limited to the amount paid by you for any product or service purchased from us through the site during the prior 12-month period; provided, however, that any claim in connection with your use of this site must be brought within one year after the event giving rise to such action occurred.
#8 – Intellectual Properties
The intellectual property on this site is ours—that is, it belongs to Groops LLC, a Delaware limited liability company (“Groops”)—unless we expressly say otherwise or the context clearly indicates otherwise. The intellectual property of ours that is available on this site is nearly all 5 protected by applicable copyright and trademark law—both federal and state. So for example, the narrative on this site is a copyrighted work protected by copyright law. You are welcome to download information from this site, and you may print out a hard copy, for your personal use provided that you keep our work intact and do not remove or alter any copyright or other notice (e.g., trademark) contained in the information. You are not welcome to, and you may not, modify, copy, distribute, display, reproduce, sell, license or create derivative works from any information or site content, in whole or in part, including any text, images, audio or video in any manner, without our prior written permission. In addition to complying with all applicable laws, you agree that you will not use our trademarks, service marks, trade dress, or other logos from this site without our prior written permission.
Copyright Infringement and DMCA Notice
We attempt to comply with all intellectual property laws and rights of third parties. If you believe that any content on our site infringes upon your intellectual-property rights, you should contact us immediately with the details necessary for us to consider and respond to your complaint. More specifically, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the “DMCA”) provides remedies for holders of copyrights who believe in good faith that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under copyright law. If you believe in good faith that content or material on our site infringes a valid copyright owned by you, you or your agent may send us notice requesting that the material be removed, or access to it blocked. Any such notice should contain the information summarized below:
- a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the allegedly infringed copyright;
- identification of the allegedly infringed copyrighted work;
- identification of the material alleged to be infringing;
- the name, address, telephone number and email address of the complaining party;
- a statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized; and
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
If, on the other hand, you believe in good faith that a notice of copyright infringement has been wrongly filed against you, the DMCA permits you to send us a counter-notice. Notices and 6 counter-notices must meet the then-current statutory requirements imposed by the DMCA. All notices and counter-notices should be sent to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
#10 – Online Communities & Discussion Boards
We may provide visitors to our site with the ability to participate in online communities such as hosted discussion boards, chats or other forums. If you participate in any such online community, you agree that anything you submit is being or will be provided by you voluntarily, on a non-confidential basis, and without any compensation due to you. In this regard, you hereby grant us (Groops LLC) a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, transferable, and sub-licensable, right and license to use, copy, distribute, modify, create joint and derivative works, your content and postings in any form or format. Furthermore, you agree that:
- you will not post, transmit or link to any websites or other content that is libelous or defamatory, false, obscene or indecent, violent, abusive, threatening or harassing, discriminatory, or an expression of political or hate speech;
- you may only post, upload or transmit materials for which you have the copyright or permission to distribute;
- you may not violate, plagiarize or infringe on the intellectual-property rights of third parties;
- you agree that any materials you post or upload will be owned by you or be in the public domain;
- if you choose to submit items in a public or “chat” portion of our site, you understand that such material you post in these site areas will be available to other individuals using the site; and we cannot warrant, promise, guarantee or otherwise take
steps to prevent other users from copying, displaying, uploading, transmitting or otherwise using your material;
- you will always use caution in posting personally identifying information, and never exchange personal financial information, address, phone numbers or other personal information;
- you will not post any material that violates any law or regulation;
- you will not impersonate any other person or use the identity of some other living person; and
- you will be respectful of others and their privacy, and will not submit photos of others or identify them without their express permission.
#11 – Third Party Websites and Content
Our site may contain links to other websites (“Third Party Websites”) as well as articles, photographs, text, graphics, pictures, designs, music, sound, video, information, applications, software and other content or items belonging to or originating from third parties (the “Third Party Content”). Third Party Websites and Third Party Content are not investigated, monitored or checked by us for accuracy, appropriateness or completeness, and we are not responsible for any Third Party Websites accessed through our site or any Third Party Content posted on, available through, or installed from our site. Our inclusion of, linking to or permitting the use or installation of any Third Party Website or any Third Party Content does not imply approval or endorsement thereof by us. If you decide to leave our site and access Third Party Websites or use or install any Third Party Content, you do so at your own risk and you should be aware that our terms and policies, at that point, no longer govern. You should review the applicable terms and policies, including privacy and data gathering practices, of any website to which you navigate from our site or relating to any applications you use or install from our site. Any purchases you make through Third Party Websites will be through other websites and from other companies, and we take no responsibility whatsoever in relation to such purchases which are exclusively between you and the applicable third party.
#12 – We Reserve Our Rights
#13 – Adults Only, Please
This site and the Groops experience is intended for adults aged 18 and over. Persons under the age of 18 are not permitted to register for an account or purchase a Groops membership.
#15 – Dispute Resolution
You agree that all disputes between you and us will be resolved by binding arbitration as provided for in this “Dispute Resolution” section; subject, however, to your limited right to opt out as described below.
Opt-Out Opportunity: You have the right to opt out of this agreement to arbitrate by giving us written notice within 30 days after becoming subject to this agreement (i.e., your first use of our site). Any such opt-out notice must be sent to us at Groops LLC, 983 E. Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55414, Attn: Legal Department. If we do not receive written notice from you within the required time, this agreement to arbitrate will be irrevocable, you will be unable opt out, and you will therefore have agreed that the provisions of this agreement to arbitrate shall apply.
Procedures and Authority: To begin an arbitration proceeding, you must send a letter to us, requesting arbitration and describing your claim, to Groops LLC, 983 E. Hennepin Avenue,
Minneapolis, MN 55414, Attn: Legal Department. If we initiate an arbitration proceeding, we will notify you by email to the email address associated with your account (and if we have your mailing address, we will endeavor to send you a mailed notice as well). The arbitration will be conducted by JAMS under its rules and pursuant to the terms of this agreement. Disputes involving claims and counterclaims under $250,000 (determined without regard to any attorneys’ fees and alleged interest) shall be subject to JAMS’s most current version of the Streamlined Arbitration Rules and procedures; all other claims shall be subject to JAMS’s most current version of the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures. JAMS’s rules are also available at http://www.jamsadr.com (under the Rules/Clauses tab) or by calling JAMS at 800- 352-5267. Payment of all filing, administration, and arbitration fees will be governed by JAMS’s rules.
Expenses: Each party will pay his or her own attorney fees and expenses, and the party initiating the arbitration will pay the fees and expenses of the arbitrator. If you win in any arbitration claim you bring against us, we will reimburse you for any fees you paid to the arbitrator and arbitration organization for the arbitration. If, however, you lose an arbitration case you bring against us,
and if the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought was frivolous or was brought for an improper purpose, then you must promptly reimburse us for all of the fees and expenses we incur in connection with the arbitration.
>overning Law; Equitable/Injunctive Relief:We agree that this agreement to arbitrate is made in connection with a transaction involving interstate commerce and will be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act, 9 U.S.C. §§ 1-16, as it may be amended, and shall be brought in Hennepin County, Minnesota. If the Federal Arbitration Act does not apply, then the substantive law of the State of Minnesota (without regard to its conflicts-of-law provisions) will govern this agreement to arbitrate and any covered claim shall be brought solely in either the applicable
federal or state courts located in or with jurisdiction over Hennepin County, Minnesota.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, we will have the right to seek and obtain equitable or injunctive relief, from any court having competent personal jurisdiction over you, to prevent the actual or threatened infringement, misappropriation or violation of our intellectual-property rights or any third party’s intellectual-property rights. An equitable proceeding of this kind may be brought in any court where jurisdiction may exist. In any case where we seek and obtain injunctive or equitable relief, we will be entitled to recover from you all of our out-of-pocket costs and expenses incurred in the course of obtaining such relief, including without limitation all reasonably attorneys’ fees and court costs.
#16 – The Boilerplate
This section contains a bunch of other things that many folks refer to as “boilerplate” provisions. Truly though, this “boilerplate” stuff can be important, so please ready carefully. If you have questions, you are welcome to contact us at email@example.com.
Dated: August 20, 2021
any mobile application, or otherwise:
- Groops is not intended to provide, and does not provide, support or advice for any crisis or emergency situation. If you believe that your mental health is putting your safety or the safety of others at risk, you should consult with your physician
or therapist as soon as possible. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline may be reached by phone at 1-800- 273-TALK (8255), and its website is at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org. If you
believe you are dealing with an emergency, you should dial 911 immediately.
- The information and experience we offer does not constitute the provision of medical or any other professional health care treatment services (or therapy of any kind), nor does it constitute the practice of medicine or any other professional health
- The information and experience provided is not intended to serve as medical or other health care advice and is not intended to be used for the diagnosis or treatment of any condition or symptom.
- No doctor-patient or client-therapist relationship is formed by visiting our website, accessing or using any of our resources, becoming a Groops member, or attending or participating in any Groops discussion or other event.
- The information and experience provided is neither therapy nor a substitute for therapy—it is different from therapy. Accordingly, you should not delay in seeking treatment from any licensed professional based on the fact that you may be involved
in any Groops experience, including any Groops discussion, or that you may be accessing our website or any of our resources. If you have questions about whether therapy or medical treatment is appropriate for you, you should consult with your
physician or other qualified health care provider.
Dated: November 3, 2021